For some people, there are few better ways to spend a day than out on the golf course. Golf offers a great chance to get outside and appreciate the beauty of nature with friends and family.
It is also good exercise, not just for the body, but also for the mind as you try to work out the best series of shots for getting the ball onto the green.
However, sometimes it can be easy to lose focus on the ball, especially when it is raining or very sunny. If the sun gets in your eyes, then you won’t be able to properly line up your shot, and rain is another irritating distraction that may affect your swing.
Furthermore, spending time outside on the course is fun, but you won’t feel so good the next day if you get sunburnt. Because of this, a good golf hat is essential for making the most of your time while golfing.
A baseball cap, visor, or bucket hat all make great choices for keeping the sun out of your eyes, and your head protected from the elements.
Furthermore, they will help to protect your head and neck from sunburn, so you can enjoy your game without worrying about being sore and itchy the next day.
In this list, we will be going through some of the best golf hats that are both stylish and practical for a day on the course.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Products by TaylorMade are good at offering both form and function, as you can see by this simple but stylish golf cap.
This cap has a rigid structure that holds its shape very well while still being stretchy enough for accommodating any size of the head. It is a ‘one size fits all cap that has a Velcro strap at the back for making adjustments to the width. There are 6 available colors to choose from, all of which sport a stylish 3D embroidered logo. The lining of the cap is made from a special absorbent sweatband, so you can keep your forehead dry even on hot days.
This pure polyester golf hat is suitable for both men and women and makes a great gift for someone who owns a bag of TaylorMade clubs.
- Material: 100% Polyester
- Available Sizes: One size fits all
- Available colors: Black, Charcoal, Navy Blue, Red, Royal Blue, and White.
- Stylish hat with a simple and bold design.
- The moisture-wicking sweatband on the inside.
- A rigid structure prevents the hat from losing its shape.
- Those with smaller heads may find they have a lot of spare Velcro at the back
This safari-style hat looks great, and it is very practical for a day out on the golf course. It has a 3 wide brim, which keeps the sun out of your eyes and protects the back of your neck from sunburn.
There is a Coolmax sweatband added around the circumference of this hat to keep you dry during hot weather. Our favorite aspect of this hat is the mesh on the top, which is made from a blend of cotton and nylon.
While not the best coverage for rainy weather, on a hot summer’s day, this mesh offers great ventilation to stop your head from overheating.
With a brim made from UPF 50+ solar weave fabric, this is the best that you can buy for keeping your skin and eyes safe from the sun’s rays.
- Material: 70% cotton, 30% nylon
- Available sizes: Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, XXL
- Available colors: Camel, Olive, and Oatmeal
- Made from solar weave fabric that has a UPF value of 50+ Coolmax
- sweatband for keeping your forehead dry.
- Mesh top that offers great ventilation for hot days.
- Not great for rainy days.
The Sully Snapback golf cap made by Travis Mathew is a hat designed for keeping you comfortable during hot weather. It has a well-ventilated back that is made from a cotton and polyester mesh.
This means the hat can protect your eyes from the sun, while also keeping your head nice and cool in the summer heat. The snap closure on the back means that the two available sizes can be adjusted to fit any size of the head. You only have one choice of color, but the light gray looks suitably stylish, while also reflecting sunlight to keep you cool.
- Material: 60% cotton, 40% polyester.
- Available Sizes: Small/Medium, and Large/ Extra Large.
- Available Colors: Heather Gray.
- Well-ventilated mesh back.
- A curved brim is good at keeping the sun out of your eyes.
- Snap closure allows you to adjust the size as necessary.
If what you are looking for is a hat to keep you cool and safe from sunburn, then look no further than this golf hat made by Coolibar. It is made from a special polyester fabric which has a UPF of 50+.
With a tapered brim that is 4in at the front and 3in around the sides, this hat is more stylish than your average bucket hat, but still offers great protection from the sun. This hat is made from a lightweight fabric that is very breathable and good for keeping your head cool in hot weather.
There are fitted sizes for accommodating all shapes of heads, and the design is suitable for both men and women.
Overall, we found this hat to be a great choice for those who want to have fun outside but also want to avoid sunburn.
- Material: 100% polyester
- Available Sizes: Small, Large, and XXL
- Available Colors: Black, Silver, Stone gray, Tan/Khaki, and White
- Great sun hat with a wide brim to protect your eyes and neck from the sun.
- Made from breathable lightweight polyester.
- Offers a UPF of 50+
- There is a metal wire around the brim of this hat that may poke out of the fabric if it is machine washed.
Callaway is a popular brand amongst golfers for both their clubs and golfing wear. This cap has a magnetic brim for storing your metal ball markers when they aren’t in use.
You have the choice between buying a fitted hat that comes in four different sizes or buying an adjustable version that fits most head sizes. Made from 100% polyester, this cap is very light and great at keeping your head cool thanks to the back panels made from a performance mesh.
The tilted brim keeps the sun out of your eyes, without obstructing your view of the ball, and will help you to line up the perfect shot.
There is a wide range of awesome colors to choose from and after a bit of searching, you are sure to find one that you like.
- Material: 100% polyester.
- Available Sizes: One size, Small/medium, Large, Large/XL, XXL.
- Available Colors: 14 sizes including; white, navy blue, red, royal blue, and many more.
- Lightweight performance meshes on the back to provide ventilation.
- Simple but bold 3D embroidered logo.
- Magnetic brim for storing ball markers.
- Some customers have found the lining of this hat to be itchy.
Visors are a great way to protect your eyes from the sun without your head getting too hot. This makes them both practical and a good choice for anyone who wants to look extra sporty on the golf course. You can fully adjust this visor for a comfortable fit, and the white fabric is great for reflecting both heat and sunlight.
The aim of this visor is padded with an absorbent material, so it can act as a sweatband as well as a cap. Since it is made from polyester, this hat dries very quickly and is fully machine washable. The brim is sturdy enough that it won’t lose its shape even when wet.
- Material: 100% polyester.
- Available Sizes: One size fits all.
- Available Colors: White
- Flat brim for protecting your eyes from the sun.
- Fully adjustable.
- Wrapped finish trim.
- No protection from the top of your head.
There is no rule that says you can’t play golf in the rain, but if you don’t have a good waterproof hat, then you may not find the experience very pleasant. We found this bucket hat from TaylorMade to be a suitable piece of headwear for both rainy and sunny weather.
The tilted brim is good at keeping the sun out of your eyes, while the waterproof material is just what you need to stay dry if it starts raining. With a lining made from moisture-wicking fabric, this hat doubles as a sweatband and dries very quickly.
Another advantage is that since the brim goes all the way around the perimeter of the hat, it can also protect the back of your neck from sunburn.
There are only two available sizes, which means some people may need to use a headband, or bandana to get the perfect fit.
- Material: 96% polyester, 4% spandex.
- Available Sizes: Small/medium, Large/XL.
- Available Colors: Black and White.
- A lightweight hat that is suitable for both sunny and rainy conditions.
- Waterproof fabric with moisture-wicking lining to keep your head dry from both rain and sweat.
- Low brim protects your eyes and the back of your neck from the sun.
- Limited size selection may make finding the perfect fit difficult.
If you want to go for that traditional golfer aesthetic then consider buying this unique and comfortable flat cap. It’s the Bryson hat!
The flat brim is still great at shielding your eyes from the sun, but it also looks much more suitable for the golf course than a regular baseball cap.
There are only two sizes but the polyester, and elastane fabric offers enough stretch for these to fit most heads. The inside is lined with a moisture-wicking sweatband to keep your forehead dry from sweat.
This cap is very breathable, and the lining is perfectly comfortable as well as being good at absorbing sweat. You will love this soft yet dashing golf cap that is also suitable for wearing while driving on sunny days.
- Material: 92% polyester, 8% elastane
- Available Sizes: Small/Medium, and Large/ XL
- Available Colors: Bright White, High-Risk Red, Puma Black, Peacoat, and Quarry Gray
- Stylish golf cap with a flat brim.
- Elastic material allows the two sizes to accommodate most sizes of heads.
- Moisture-wicking sweatband around the perimeter of the cap.
- Some of the sizes are smaller than you would expect.
Many of the hats we have looked at have been suitable for summer and keeping the sun out of your eyes.
But if you want to enjoy some golf during the colder winter months, then a good beanie may be a better choice. This classic beanie is made from yarn and lined with fleece to make it extra warm. It doesn’t have a brim, and as such won’t offer much protection from the sun. However, unlike many of the other hats on this list, this one will keep you nice and warm even during the coldest winter days.
If you want to play golf all year round, instead of just during the summer, then this beanie is a very worthwhile investment.
- Material: Knitted Acrylic yarn with a fleece lining.
- Available Sizes: One size fits most.
- Available Colors: Black, White, Navy Blue, and Slate.
- A warm beanie that will allow you to keep playing golf in winter.
- This hat has a fleece lining for extra insulation.
- One size fits most.
- Only suitable for cold weather.
The final item on our list is this excellent, Aussie-style sun hat that is the perfect combination of style and substance. It is made from a special polyester blend that is extra stretchy.
This is coupled with an adjustable closure that allows you to alter the width for perfectly fitting your head. It has a wide enough brim for shielding your eyes and protecting the back of your neck from sunburn at the same time.
There is a removable chin strap that can be stored in a special pocket inside the hat when you need it. This means that this hat won’t be coming off your head easily, even in high winds.
- Material: Polyester stretch.
- Available Sizes: One size fits all.
- Available Colors: Gray, Sky Blue, Navy Blue, and two types of White with a black or royal blue logo.
- Professional sun hat with a striking design.
- Wide brim for offering great protection from the sun.
- Chin strap to prevent the hat from blowing off in high winds.
- Limited size options may not accommodate very small or very large heads.
Finding the right hat is about choosing something that suits your unique style while also selecting a product that is practical.
Some hats will help you to perform better on the golf course, while others may just get in the way. Here are some top tips for choosing the right hat for improving your golfing experience.
Type Of Hat
There are three different hats that work well on the golf course, which include visors, baseball caps, and bucket hats. All of them have their advantages and drawbacks, and which one you select will depend on your own personal preferences when it comes to headwear. Baseball caps, and flat caps, both cover your whole head and have a forward-facing brim that is designed to keep the sun out of your eyes. These hats are a great choice for people who want to focus on their stroke without being blinded by sunlight.
They can be quite warm to wear, so you will want one that has a good sweatband to keep your forehead dry. While they are suitable for shielding your eyes, these caps won’t protect the back of your neck from the sun at all. Visors are very similar to caps in that they offer limited protection from sunburn but are good at preventing the sunlight from blinding you.
These hats have an open top that offers good ventilation and should stop your head from overheating on hot days. The one caveat to this is that if you are bald, you may risk getting a sunburn on the top of your head when wearing a visor. Finally, bucket hats have brims that go around their whole perimeter to protect both your eyes and the back of your neck. Some people may not find these hats stylish enough, but they are the most practical choice of headwear for avoiding sunburn.
The type of hat you pick will depend on the type of conditions you want to play golf in. All of the above hats will work well on summer days when there is lots of sunlight.
However, if you are playing in an area that experiences frequent rain, then a waterproof bucket hat will probably be a better choice than a light-fabric baseball cap.
If you want to keep playing golf during the fall and winter months, then you may wish to eschew sun hats altogether in favor of something well-insulated, like a beanie.
Frequently Asked Questions
When shopping for sports hats, you will find quite a few that are described as having a moisture-wicking sweatband.
For those confused by this term, this simply refers to a special weave of fabric placed around the inside rim of the hat.
This fabric is intended to soak up a sweat before it can drip down to your eyes. They are often made from fast-drying materials, so the band won’t become easily saturated with sweat.